Thursday, March 29, 2007

Friendship...

Hey. Sorry it's been so long since I last updated, but the past week or so has been kind of crazy. Among other things, the zman is slowly ( dreadfully slowly) coming to an end, and thus I've been running around locating all my personal belongings and various flotsam, knicknacks, and assorted crap that I have accumulated in my 7 year tenure in the great state of New Jersey (motto: "the armpit of America!"), because next year, God willing, I'll be studying in Eretz Yisroel.
However, that is not the only reason I haven't had time to get to a computer save for sporadic, fleeting moments. And I'm not talking about lack of cash either. You see, a very close friend of mine's father is terribly sick. He has battled for almost two years, and last week, it apparently took a turn for the worse. The doctors, in their limited capability, have, from what I've heard, "given up." So, I've been literally sitting on the edge of my seat, doing whatever I can (i.e. saying tehillim, making phone calls to Eretz Yisroel in order to organize minyanim at the Kotel, etc.), and basically waiting for news on his condition. The problem is that my friend has basically shut everyone out, for the most part, and it's impossible to reach him. This, of course, is understandable, but I feel lacking. Because I don't have a vehicle, I can't drive out to where he is to see him, and be by his side, which is what I really want to do. But now that he doesn't answer his phone, it makes it that much harder for me.
I want him to know that he's got somebody other than his family by his side, someone who's carrying his banner, and is willing to stand and support him, come what may. I don't know if he knows this. I have no way of knowing. And although he might kill me if he sees that I've written about him on my blog ( and he most probably will...), nonetheless, I'm declaring my loyalty and friendship, unabashedly, for him to know. Because that's what real friends are for. A real friend isn't necessarily someone who claps you on the back and tells you what a great guy you are, when the going's good. A true friend- and this isn't limited to solely this example, obviously- is someone who, despite the fact that you're knee deep in shit is still helping you through it, and offering encouragement and moral support, no matter what.
So, _______. if your reading this, or you hear about this, just know one fact: If you need anything, you've got somebody in your corner, and I'm here for you. Even if I'm not physically present, i'm only a phone call away. even if you don't want to hear any words, I'm still available to be your shoulder, or your sounding board to bitch to....
Originally posted Tuesday, 2 August 2005

No comments: