Friday, March 23, 2007

Introspection...

So I was driving in brooklyn a few days ago, when I stopped at a traffic light. Crossing the street in front of me were several young beis yakov type/ chassidishe girls. They couldn't be more than 11 or 12 years old, but I noticed that one of them was really beautiful. Not in a pedophiliac way, but rather that I was able to understand that this girl was probably a beautiful baby, and a gorgeous child, etc., and I was able to appreciate that this girl will one day grow up and develop into a beautiful woman.
And I was struck at the fact that as I was looking at her, I actually thought "damn, it's a shame that when she grows up, her potential, beauty- wise, will be stunted." I was obviously thinking about the shaved heads and bullet proof stockings that were on the horizon for her, no doubt, yet I was seriously bothered by the fact that I thought that at all. What I mean is: what standard am I holding her up to? Do I believe that for a woman to reach her potential in looks she must have big tits and six inch stilettos? Am I that affected by western culture? Sarah Imeinu was the most beautiful woman to ever live, and obviously her beauty was within the parameters of tznius.
I was really bothered by this. I felt shallow, and false for those few minutes afterwards, long after the group of girls had disappeared down the block. And then I felt stupid because the back up of cars behind me, who'd been stuck for three light cycles already, were screaming and beeping in unison.....
Originally posted Saturday, 28 May 2005

No comments: