Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Update.....

So, I'm back in yeshiva for a short time recuperating from this past whirling, crazy weekend. My brother just got married last night, and the chasunah was very nice. Crowd was rocking, band was jamming. The only annoyance was everyone coming up to me and reminding me that I'm the last one, and that I'm next, but you can't do anything about that anyway....
My flight home was on friday morning, and I had an interesting conversation with a woman sitting next to me. You see, when she came on to the plane, I saw she was dressed very bohemian like, with a flowing skirt and jangling bracelets, and such. She also happened to wear a big crucifix on her neck. Anyway, she takes the seat next to mine. At that time in the morning, I'm not in the mood of being particularily sociable, so I was strapped into my headphones, losing myself in the tunes. She taps me, and asks me what I'm listening to, so I politiely answer her, and go back to my music. That's when I noticed she's wearing a red woolen string around her wrist, apparently what she takes to be a "kabbalah bracelet".
Me: Excuse me, but can I ask you a question?
Her: sure.....
Me:(pointing to her bracelet) what is that?
Her: why, it's a kabbalah string!
Me: I see, and what is it for?
Her: to ward off evil spirits....
Me: and what faith are you?
Her: I'm a christian.
Me: Interesting........
Her: why? what's so interesting?
Me: well, kabbalah is a jewish form of study in order to understand the esoteric meaning of how the universe works....
Her: right.....
Me: and if you're a christian, that means that although you guys agree that our covenant, that is, the one that was formed with our father Abraham, and subsequentially the jewish nation, was real, God officially reneged on the covenant and formed a new one with the followers of Jesus, correct?
Her: I think so........
Me: hence, the "New Testament".....
Her: I got you.....
Me: so, when I see a christain person using things that they got from a religion that they purportedly believe has no credence anymore, I find that interesting.
Her: ......
At this point, the announcement came on that everyone is free to move about the plane. She excused herself, I guess to go to the john. When she returned, I noticed she was no longer wearing the bracelet.
The rest of the weekend was uneventful.
Originally posted Wednesday, 29 June 2005

No comments: