Sunday, April 29, 2007

Breaking news...

What is this world coming to? I'm taking a quick break from my regular posting themes to post about something else. Most of you who know me know that among other things, I am a comic fan. I read and collect comics, and contrary to what my folks always said, I actually have profited from it.

When I was growing up, the grittier, seedier side of comics was still growing, and more obscure, but I have to say that it seems as iff it's leaked into the regular comics world. Comic characters like Superman, Spider - Man, and of course, Batman represented certain values and served as inspirations to little kids ( and some big ones. And then even bigger ones..) like yours truly, who - as hard as it may be to believe - wasn't always the coolest guy on the block, the suave individual you know and love. One of the most iconic figures in comicdom is Captain America. Cap was the paradigm of American values; he was created way back in the Forties, and his character ( a sort of Ubermensch for the Americans) wailed on the Nazis with every subsequent installment.

Later, his character moved on, and as the times and climates changed, so did his stories. And yet, the core values remained the same. Cap was an honorable individual, and in some ways is a better role model than many real people in the public eye today.

And now, they've done the unthinkable. They've killed Cap.

That's right: Issue 25 shows Cap being led to an his arraignment, an en route, he is killed by an assassin.

I don't know why they did this ( to generate more sales..?), but they did.

It shows how obnoxious writers are today. They just offed an Icon like he was some second stringer, man! No respect. Back in the day, nobody would dream of doing such a thing.

I know, you're trying to figure out why I'm making a big deal out of this, but it's not just me: CNN had a segment about it as well as Fox News.

Rest in Peace, Cap. We salute you...



Okay. Back your regular programming. And read the post below, darn it! It's more important anyway...

Originally posted Friday, 9 March 2007

No comments: