Sunday, April 1, 2007

High Holy days in the holy land ( the israel experience- weeks 5-6)

With all the rushing around preparing for the various yomim tovim, it's really difficult to get to the computer to update my readers in galus (suckers!!). Still, whenever I can, I faithfully put in my time.....
I've been here for the major yomim tovim before, so the experience wasn't as awe inspiring as it would have been if it was my first time; nonetheless, it was still beautiful. The tefillos, the general atmosphere, etc. In truth, I only realized how acutely I missed my yeshiva in America when davening started. The tefilla back in the states in my alma mater was really moving, and everyone was inspired. But I digress, the holidays here are realy nice.
The only thing that ruins it are americans.
Now, I'm not getting into the subject of why I hate the fact that a lot of american kids are too immature to come here, and do so anyway; maybe I'll devote a future post to it, like after succos, or something. In the meantime, let me share with you a little story that happened to me on the second night of Rosh Hashana....
I went to eat by my newlywed brother, so I decided that rather than daven with yeshiva, I'll pray in his neighborhood. As I approach the shul around the corner from his apartment, three seminary girls approach me. At first they start asking me something in ivrit, but once I indicated that I was american, they were visibly relieved; they proceeded to ask me where the ezras nashim was, and I told them how to get there. After thanking me, they asked me if I lived nearby. I told them that I wasn't married, and they immediately started bombarding me with questions with marked interest. "Really? Where do you learn?" " Do you like it?" " Where are you from" They weren't taking a survey, either. I was shocked. I mean, come on! They don't need the ezras nashim, they need cat scans! So, I told them " I didn't mind helping you find the ladies section, but it's Rosh Hashana, and I was on my way to daven. Good Yom Tov." I turned around and walked away....
So, you can see why I get irked when people have their priorities all messed up.
Aside from that, I really enjoyed the holidays.....
Originally posted Tuesday, 11 October 2005

No comments: