Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Geriatric Vengeance ( Homecoming )...

So, for the first time since my grandmother died ( about 4 months ago), I went home for Shabbos.
It's good to go home every once in a while, to see people who I don't otherwise get to see, and to just cruise around a bit. It's nice to see things almost exactly the way I left it the last time ( minus several feet of snow).
But I experienced something rather surprising on Shabbos.
A little background first: nearly all of my extended family on my mother's side lives in my town, and we all daven (pray) at the same shul (synagogue). My shul is one of those cozy, old-school shtiebel type of places, and I really love it, except for Krias HaTorah. You see, after every aliyah (that's when one is given the honor of making a blessing on the Torah), there's a custom to bless members of the congregation, at the honoree's discretion (and expense). Needless to say, when there are many family members in one shul, the MiSheberach can take quite a long time...
Back to the story: About a year ago, I was called up for an aliyah, and it was getting late. I really wasn't interested in spending too much time going through all the motions, so I did a shout out to my Rav, my dad, and the Baal Koreih ( the guy who does the reading). As a follow up, I added a general "..and all the worshipers here" to the misheberach, which usually covers you.
But when I got back to my seat, I hear a gravely, heavy accented voice call my name. I turn to see my great-uncle rapidly ( relatively speaking, of course; he walks with a cane) bearing down on me.
Him: Why didn't you give me a mishberach?
Me: I did, Botch ( that's Hungarian for Uncle, by the way...not a typo;) ). I said "and all the worshipers here.."
Obviously that wasn't the smartest answer, and he was pretty ticked off. So miffed, as a matter of fact, that even later on that week, when he came into shul, he went over to a friend of mine...
Him: (points at me) You know this guy?
Buddy: Um, yeah...( he gives me a look that says 'take your uncle away from me, please')
Him: Oh, because I don't think I do. Because the jewmaican20 I know gives me a misheberach, and he ( he points his cane at me) DIDN'T!
Anyhoo, I went back to yeshiva and pretty much forgot the whole thing. But this past shabbos, that same uncle got an aliyah. And, sure enough by the misheberach's he left me out.
I know he did this on purpose because he actually exerted himself to walk past my seat and told me so.
I didn't know that old people could be so vindictive!

10 comments:

doodlehead said...

i think that old grouchy ppl enjoy being grouchy. i usually act very cheerful to them just so they can enjoy being grumpy even more.
next time u get an aliya just mention him 2, im sure he'l eventually forget about it.

Rivky said...

old people :shakes head:

we used to have that problem in my shul which is also shtieble type. cause the aliyos were free. now we its free to give yourself and the rabbi and all the other worshipers, but if you want to get long and drawn out you have to pay. it really knocked down the length of the mishaberachs.

I can see why a great aunt would be really upset cause she can't get up and get an aliya for herself, but he could get one the next time he got an aliya, and from how you said your shul was it doesn't sound like its so big that he'll have to wait a year.

the dreamer said...

i agree with the second part of doodlehead's comment.
(the first part is relative)

just give him an aliyah next time...

how was it to be home?

yingerman said...

Happiness is a state of mind.
Batchie is just not happy, and takes it out on anyone who, he thinks, might care.

Anonymous said...

you get to an age and you need something to keep you busy

Anonymous said...

JJL hit the money. Amen to that.

Reb Y. Brachfeld said...

iy''h you'll get to that and you'll be the same

Shmuel said...

Yeah, there's a loooong history with that particular uncle...
In any event, it was good to be home...

Anonymous said...

finaly i get to see your blog on a regular screen

is it my eyes? or is your backround GREEN? uch

ok i sound like your uncle now... no im not really that grouchy, ok sometimes i am, like when you called me this past week and my chavrusa was breathing over my back to get back to learning...

ok i will call you--- and see you on monday.

me!! :)

Shmuel said...

Hey, Me, what's the matter with green?
Call me, and no, you won't see me on Monday, sorry. Unless I drive like a maniac...